Friday, January 8, 2010

What She Eats When She Eats Alone

I'm a somewhat middle-aged woman who is getting used to an empty apartment because her only daughter moved out a month ago.  Just me and the cats.  Yes, I know what that makes me.

We have wildly divergent tastes when it comes to food.  She inherited her father's hatred of all things green.  Spinach is one of my favorite things.  She would invariably order a hanger steak when out for dinner.  I rarely order the same things twice at the same restaurant (unless it's Hell's Kitchen huevos rancheros.) (Snob!)  I suppose we ended up eating alone anyways, her with her Annie's Mac and Cheese or ramen stir-fry, me with my leftovers from some ethnic restaurant.  (I do cook, albeit occasionally lately.)

So tonight for all my love of all things exotic and bordering on the edge of the occasionally healthy, I had store-bought brownies and chocolate chip ice cream for dinner.  (Does anyone else remember back in the 70s when chocolate chip ice cream had little bits of what I only can assume was some butter brickle substance?)

The cats are hungry...


What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment