Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Take Out Tuesday & TV


I work late on Tuesdays and usually am not in the mood to make something for dinner.  Tonight on my way home I stopped at La Fogata in Brooklyn Park (9660 Colorado Lane N.)  I think you might notice that I am always looking for a flavor I had once upon a time or perhaps I just know what my preferences are and base my judgments on my favorite of the bunch.  Remember back a few posts ago when I talked about the place in Iowa City that had the awesome (possibly plastic) queso and jalapeno dip?  At that same restaurant I would habitually order the Tacos de Carne Asada.  It came with three soft tortillas, perfectly seared asada, brothy beans, and a melt-your-face-off sauce.  I think the sauce had a base of tomatillos.  This was not a salsa verde, but a thinner sauce with peppers and cilantro and other lovely things.  I've never had it again.

La Fogata is a brightly colored space, with murals and carved wood features covering the walls and furniture.  It has a bar where several people were enjoying margaritas.  (I don't think they had those to go.)  The restaurant has an extensive menu featuring seafood, "fresh and homemade!"  I went for the Tacos de Carne Asada as you might have guessed.   It came with soft tortillas, asada that was not quite well-seared or grilled, pico de gallo, the standard rice and beans, and a sauce.  This was not like the revered sauce of the Iowa City days, but I think it runs a close second, maybe fourth.  Not quite melt-your-face-off, but still had a nice burn.  They also threw in a big bag of chips and (rather sweet) salsa.  I don't think I will be going back to La Fogata anytime soon as I was not that impressed, but if they can bottle the sauce and I can take it home, I might stop by.

SPOILER ALERT for anyone who missed CSI: Miami last night. 
(I've always wanted to say that.)


The storyline was a complete stretch, trying to prove that a farming conglomerate caused the death of two people who ate produce from the farms that the conglomerate owned.  The CSI team searched and searched, but in an hour they discovered that both Ecoli and botulism were present in the food that the two people consumed.  One bacteria was caused by cow feces in the water that sprayed the fields and the other by a genetically engineered corn that made cellulose easier to digest, but also created (on occasion) the toxins that lead to botulism.  There was also a side story provided by a small farmer that mentioned the watchword of "drift" (when seeds or pesticides, etc. move from one farmer's field to another unintentionally) and the (hmmm, oddly familiar) tale that he had been sued by the conglomerate when some of the GMOs were found in his field. In the end they got the bad guy, the CEO of the company.  If only real life more accurately mirrored TV.

It's obvious some writer for that show has been reading Food Politics.

I think this is important:  Monsanto

No comments:

Post a Comment