Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday

I had an appointment in St. Paul this morning and I was tempted to do the hip thing and go to Cheeky Monkey Deli for lunch.  I was in the Como neighborhood and I went to Nelson's Cheese and Deli instead.  (Isn't it hip to go against the flow too?)  It had been awhile and I had good memories of grabbing a couple sandwiches and heading over to Como Park with my daughter.  


The set up of the deli has changed since I was there last and I find it more user friendly and more, um, deli-like.  It was busy, but had quick and friendly service.  I ordered the Como Club:  Thinly Sliced Chicken Breast, Bacon, Chive Havarti on Vienna White Bread with Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumbers and Ranch Sauce.  I love cucumbers on a sandwich, but I wish they would use the English cucumbers (Grown in Canada.)  Waxy ones don't set well with me.  The ranch sauce didn't overwhelm and really, was thankfully barely present.  The tomatoes were oddly centered in the middle, but I moved them around.  Overall, it was a good sandwich.  Not Cheeky Monkey fun or interesting, but still a good sandwich.



The deli has a nice selection of sandwiches, make your own and specialty and hot and cold.  I like the salad options, all make your own.  There is a large cooler of retro sodas, but I chose "MASH, A Water Drink."  It was a grapefruit-flavored "Citrus Zing" and was still a carbonated drink despite the name.  I'll drink it again.


A note on the cheese.  It's supposed to all be midwest sourced.  The Havarti on my sandwich was good, but I can't say much for the rest of the selection.  It was Midwest.



I rented two redbox movies for this evening.  Neither of the movies were a first choice for me.  The Ugly Truth DVD was too scratched to be watchable and I have a feeling that was a saving grace.  I'm waiting to watch Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging.  The kid is coming over to see it with me.  We both liked the Georgia Nicolson books, but I don't have high hopes for this movie either as it went straight to DVD in the US after being made in England.


It will be pan-popped popcorn for dinner. 

1 comment:

  1. Cheeky Monkey is adorable; we went there on the day of Deb's wedding, en route to the church. I wish I could remember more of the meal, but the day is such a blur. Perhaps we can try that one sometime together!

    ReplyDelete