Thursday, May 20, 2010

Foods That Scare Me (a little)

My daughter is making sucking noises.  She's eating edamame stir fried with soy sauce, honey, and chili garlic sauce.  It's delicious, but it's turning my stomach a little right now.  I am planning on a different snack this evening:
 










I have a list of things that I think I want to try.  I'm supposed to be an adventurous eater.  Adventurous, perhaps, for being (mostly) raised in Iowa and coming from a (mainly) Swedish background (where Lutefisk was only served to my uncle, once a year.) 

I want to prove my worthiness.  I want to survive the food gauntlet.  (I'm kidding.)

My list of intimidating foods is (partially) as follows:

snails
sweetbreads
Lutefisk (I think I am finally ready for one of those church suppers)
durian
natto
rabbit
pickled watermelon rind
tripe (I've had this, but I don't think I've had it prepared correctly.  So many people like it and I feel like I am missing something.)
congee
black pudding (will probably have this soon at Anchor Fish and Chips)
various pig parts
chicken feet
soft shell crabs

I also want to like my intimidating foods.  Which brings me to the source of my guilt.

Last weekend I tried the soft shell crab.  

I love the place I bought the sandwich.  I wouldn't say a bad thing about the business, ever, ever.  It's me, it's my failing.  No Sam, I did not like the soft shell crab sandwich even if it has delicious pickled ramp tartar.  See?  It's beautiful:
















I tried, I really tried.  There is something about the chewy and the thought of shell.  Then I got about half-way through it and I looked and I saw it's hepatopancreas and I gagged a little.  It's totally my fault, my weakness.  It's a texture and thought thing totally which doesn't bode well for a lot of the items on my list.  I know other people love them and thank god for those people.  Please try them, you might like them.  Don't let my failing be your guide.

This weekend my order will be the pulled pork nachos.  Kingfield Farmer's Market is opening this weekend!

Ugh.  Now she's slurping on a Sugar Daddy.  

2 comments:

  1. I had a soft crab salad at the California Grill in Disney's Contemporary Resort last Thursday; it was unbelievably good. I ran across no insides and it was cooked such that the shell was all crisp, no chew. Maybe you'll have to try it again. I wish I would have taken better notes - the food was incredible (most of the week).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything tastes better at Disney.

    And yeah, you need to send me those notes when you do take them!

    About a billion years ago when I was last in Disney World, we ate at Fulton's Crab House. I had a lobster bisque and Alaska King Crab claws. A-mazing.

    http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/fultons-crab-house/

    A HUGE storm blew up across the "lagoon" and the Fulton sign blew down while were eating. I don't know why that's relevant.

    ReplyDelete